Tazorac Gel, tazarotene (ta-ZAR-oh-teen), is used to treat acne on the face. It works to help clear acne partly by keeping skin pores clear.
It is very important that you use this medicine only as directed. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, and do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. To do so may cause irritation of the skin.
Also, please read the patient information that will come with your medicine.
- Before applying tazarotene to acne areas of the skin, wash the skin with a mild soap or cleanser and warm water, then gently pat dry. Wait at least 20 to 30 minutes before applying this medicine.
- Do not use this medicine in or around the eyes or lips, or inside of the nose . Spread the medicine away from these areas when applying.
- When using tazarotene, apply medicine to dry skin. If skin has just been washed and dried, wait at least 20 to 30 minutes before applying this medicine. Applying to wet or damp skin may cause skin irritation.
- Apply a thin layer of this medicine to areas on face prone to developing acne. Rub medicine in gently and well. Wash medicine off skin areas not intended to be treated.
- After applying the medicine, wash your hands to remove any medicine that might remain on them.
- Apply 0.1% tazarotene to clean, dry affected areas of the face once a day, usually in the evening or at bedtime.
Suggested protocol to start using Tazorac Gel
- Cetaphil Cleanser – wait 20 – 30 minutes, then
- Tazorac 0.1% – pea sized amount for face
- Week one: wash Tazorac off after 1/2 hour
- Week two: wash Tazorac off after 1 hour
- Week three: wash Tazorac off after 2 hour
- Week four: can leave on overnight
- Apply a moisturizing lotion before bed and in the a.m. In the a.m. use a moisturizer with sunscreen.
Tazorac can be applied with all other topical acne medications – at this time there are no known interactions.
Please note that Tazorac (like other acne medications) may take 8 – 12 weeks to work. You will continue to improve for 6 months, after which time you should reach a plateau. So, start slowly, to avoid irritation. If you have any questions, please email me.